If you’re burdened with acne, you may want to visit a dermatologist clinic for treatment. But do they also help with cystic pimples? See what to expect in a dermatologist clinic on this page: https://thedermclinic.com.sg/.
Now, cystic pimples, a severe form of acne, present a considerable challenge when it comes to treatment. These blemishes occur when oil and dead skin cells block the pores, leading to inflammation.
Unlike regular acne, cystic acne involves the intrusion of bacteria into the pores. This is what causes the painful swelling, common with cystic acne.
The depth of these lesions renders topical medicines, like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, ineffective. The stubborn nature of cystic pimples demands a tailored, multistep approach for effective treatment.
When should I see a Dermatologist for Cystic Acne?
It is best to consider seeking the expertise of your dermatologist in Singapore when dealing with cystic acne. This is because individual experiences may vary.
There are several symptoms that may warrant an appointment with a dermatologist for cystic acne treatment. Particularly, your GP may recommend a visit to a dermatologist clinic if;
- You get severe and persistent breakouts: It wouldn’t be wise to sit and watch as persistent and severe acne wreak havoc in your life. See a dermatologist in Singapore for cystic acne treatment if you experience persistent and severe cystic acne breakouts that are causing significant discomfort. Also, see a specialist if your acne causes emotional distress. They can evaluate the severity of your acne and provide appropriate treatment options.
- Your breakouts cause scarring and skin damage: While cystic acne can often leave behind deep scars and marks on the skin, it isn’t always something to take lightly. Inform a skilled dermatologist if you notice scarring or significant skin damage due to your acne. They can help assess the extent of the scarring and recommend suitable treatment options to minimize their appearance.
- You’ve tried OTC treatments without success: Over-the-counter (OTC) acne treatments like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid should help with acne. If you’ve used them without achieving satisfactory results, it may be time to consult a dermatologist. They can assess your specific condition and recommend more potent or targeted prescription medications.
- The acne impacts your quality of life: Cystic acne can profoundly impact your self-esteem. They can also damage your confidence, and reduce your overall quality of life. Schedule a consultation with a specialist if your acne is affecting your emotional well-being. The same applies with impacted social interactions, or daily activities. A knowledgeable dermatologist cannot only address the physical impacts of your cystic pimples. They can also help you manage the emotional aspects of the condition.
- You get side effects from certain medications: Certain acne medications may cause unwanted side effects. The medications mostly known to cause side effects include isotretinoin. You may need careful monitoring if you get severe side effects after using acne medications—especially those recommended by specialists. So, consult a dermatologist if get any side effects. They will not just guide you through the treatment process. They will also be available to monitor your progress, and address any concerns or side effects that may arise.
- You also have hormonal imbalances or underlying health conditions: Cystic acne can sometimes be associated with hormonal imbalances. They may also be caused by some underlying health conditions. See a dermatologist if you suspect that your acne may be linked to such factors. They can help investigate the underlying cause, and develop an appropriate treatment plan targeting the root of the issue.
These instances should only serve as general guidelines. The safest bet is to always consult a dermatologist for personalized advice tailored to your specific situation.
They have the expertise to assess your skin condition. So, you can count on them to provide accurate diagnoses and recommend effective treatment options to help you manage and overcome cystic acne. To help you get started, here five important questions you may want to ask your dermatologist in Singapore;
- What is the severity of my cystic acne? Also, what are its potential complications or long-term effects?
- What could be the underlying causes or triggers of my cystic acne? How can they be addressed?
- What are the most effective treatment options available for my specific condition? Do they have potential side effects or risks?
- How long can I expect the treatment to take before seeing noticeable improvements?
- Are there any lifestyle changes or skincare routines that can help manage or prevent future cystic acne breakouts?
How Does a Dermatologist Remove a Cystic Pimple?
Dermatologists employ various techniques to eliminate cystic pimples physically. Usually, the aim is to provide relief and prevent scarring. Here are three ways your dermatologist in Singapore can help you remove a cystic pimple;
- Acne extraction: This is one of the most common methods for removing cystic pimples. It involves the use of sterile instruments to remove blackheads and whiteheads. Now, acne extraction is mostly considered when other treatments fail. However, it is a safe option performed for clearing the skin of acne. Due to the time and cost involved, it is not usually the first choice though.
- Corticosteroid Injections: For deep, painful acne cysts or nodules, dermatologists may opt for corticosteroid injections. These injections accelerate healing and minimize the risk of scarring. It’s important to note that corticosteroid injections are suitable for individual, isolated blemishes rather than treating multiple acne spots. Administration of excessive corticosteroids can lead to unwanted side effects, emphasizing the importance of having a qualified professional perform the injection.
- Incision and Drainage: This procedure is preserved for situations where large pimples, cysts, or nodules need to be addressed. This technique involves using a sterile needle or surgical blade to open the blemish and extract its contents carefully. Properly done, your dermatologist can help you to effectively drain the pimple, cyst, or nodule with this technique.
In a good setting, these dermatological procedures are performed with precision and expertise to ensure your safety and well-being. That’s why you should insist on being treated in an accredited facility and by a board-certified dermatologist.
The removal of cystic pimples should always be carried out by a qualified medical professional. And dermatologists can also help with cystic pimples.
Do not attempt to extract or drain these blemishes at home. If done poorly, you may suffer an infection, scarring, or further aggravate of the condition.
So, trust the expertise of your dermatologist to navigate the best course of action for you. To talk about your cystic pimples or schedule a consultation for treatment in Singapore, call or visit us at;
The Dermatology Clinic
321 Joo Chiat Pl,
#05-01A Parkway East Specialist Hospital,
+65 6320 0310